ABOUT INVESTIGATION SERVICE
Investigation Service of the Ministry of Finance (“Service”) is a state subordinate specialized law enforcement authority within the system of the Ministry of Finance of Georgia that exercises its powers and functions within the limits defined by the legislation of Georgia related to the fighting against financial-economic crimes and investigation of criminal cases within its jurisdiction.
Investigation Service prevents, detects and suppresses crimes committed in the financial-economic field throughout the country. Service conducts a full-scale investigation in accordance with the investigative jurisdiction under the Criminal Procedure Code of Georgia.
Prime-minister of Georgia appoints the head of the Investigation Service, submitted by the Minister of Finance. The head of Investigation Service is accountable to the Government and the Minister of Finance of Georgia.
Mission, vision and values of Service
- Improve business environment and eliminate economic crime in the country as a result of operative-searching activities in order to prevent crime in financial-economic field;
- Active cooperation with various state agencies of Georgia, law enforcement agencies, non-governmental and international organizations, in order to carry out tasks;
- In the fight against economic crime, close cooperation with other countries’ colleague agencies and other organizations, in order to share and implement best practices;
- Enhance qualification of the employees and implement high standards in the field of investigation;
- Work of the Service is based on the principles of legality, humanity, justice, publicity, transparency, protection one’s honor and dignity.
- In 2004 the regulatory body (Financial Police) was established in order to fight against financial-economic crimes and control lawful usage of funds of the state budget.
- In 2007 three state subordinate systems, functioning within the system of the Ministry of Finance (Financial Police, Tax Department and Customs Department) were united and LEPL Revenue Service was established.
- In December 2009, after one more structural reorganization carried out within the Ministry of Finance, Special Research and Financial Expertise and Investigation departments of Revenue Service, along with Special Detachment Unit were united within the frames of a state subordinate authority and Investigation Service of the Ministry of Finance was established. On December 1, 2009, Law of Georgia on Investigation Service entered into force, according to which state subordinate agency within the system of Ministry of Finance – Investigation Service of Ministry of Finance of Georgia was established.
Key aim of the Service is to support economic development of the country, combat economic and tax crimes, protect healthy business environment and support legal entrepreneurial activities. To achieve the aim set out, Service applies preventive measures, conducts thematic audits, appropriate expertise and carries out investigative activities in full, conducts and measures for crime prevention, detection and suppression.
In accordance with the law of Georgia on Investigation Service of the Ministry of Finance of Georgia, the main goals of Investigation Service are determined as follows:
- Avoiding crimes committed in financial-economic field, preventing, detecting and suppressing corruptive transactions;
- Carrying out investigative activities in full, according to investigative jurisdiction set under the Criminal Procedure Code of Georgia;
- Carrying out operative-searching activities to detect and suppress crime;
- Preventing and detecting of administrative offenses in the financial-economic field;
- Detecting reasons that are facilitating crime in the fields of financial-budgetary and monetary-credit relationships, finding, studying and analyzing those reasons, preparing recommendations.